Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap

I have been making my own for a while now and really like it. I just calculated the cost, and it's about $2 or 3 for 160 loads! All our laundry comes out clean and smelling good, including diapers.

The recipe is:

1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 of a big bar of castille (or other all vegetable oil) soap

Grate the soap and dissolve by pouring a quart or two of boiling water over it and stirring for a while.
Add the other two ingredients and stir to dissolve.
Put it altogether in a bucket (at least 5 quarts -- up to 5 gallons) and fill the bucket up with water.
Stir it really well and let it sit for a day. It will gel up. You can either use it gelled up or stir it so it's more like an egg drop soup consistency

I use a 5 quart ice cream bucket, and since I have a smaller than average washer, I use 2 Tbsps per load. If you have a regular sized washer, just figure on 1/80th of the total volume per load -- so, a 1/4 cup for a 5 quart bucket, or if you used a 5 gallon bucket -- a whole cup per load. I'm contemplating moving into a bigger bucket, just so it's more dissolved before I put it in the washer, however, with two active little children, I can just imagine the problems that might arise with having a whole 5 gallon bucket of liquid laundry soap.

I recently found Borax at Shoppers, and I think I've seen Washing Soda at the Giant. You can get a (big) box of both for around $6 total.

Edit: Homemade Laundry Soap Continued

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hey Johanna: Is this still where you find these items?

I recently found Borax at Shoppers, and I think I've seen Washing Soda at the Giant.

thanks!
Kris - forge flyer