Sunday, June 1, 2008

No more plastic wrap

As I try to reduce our disposable habits, I never found a good alternative to plastic wrap. I use it a lot for covering dough when it's rising or food in the fridge. There are good non-airtight solutions like throwing a damp towel over dough or using a lid or plate to cover a bowl in the fridge. But I always go back to plastic wrap when I really want something airtight and don't have a fitting lid. Airtight-ness is ever more on my mind now that it's warm and bugs like to crawl, eat, and vomit on my food.
Solution: reuse plastic bags! Particularly useful are the big ones from the produce section of the grocery store. They are big enough to cover even my next-to-biggest mixing bowl or a couple proofing loaves of bread. I know, I know, it's still plastic, but at least they can be rinsed and reused more easily than plastic wrap. Have you ever tried to wash and dry plastic wrap? Yikes. I am a seasoned ziplock bag washer and drier, so I'm going to try and do the same with produce bags.

No comments: